Building Inspection Division


The Building Inspection Division of the Community Development Department provides service to Commercial and Residential development; ensuring that new structures and all modifications are constructed to currently adopted codes and ordinances while providing the highest possible level of customer service.

Building Inspection Division is the interface of all divisions; each of which has varying degrees of responsibility:

Each Department and Division reviews all plans to facilitate recording of required department actions and a compilation of review comments from the various City of Farmington Departments and Divisions.

The Building Inspection Division also participates with the State of New Mexico Construction Industries Division and local builders in code adoptions and educational activities.


Permits are required within the City of Farmington for building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical projects.

You can view the City Zone map at City Maps.


Presently the Building Inspection Division is not equipped to accept Construction Permit applications or building plans electronically. All applications and building plans must be submitted in hard copy to the Building Inspection Division.

Residential projects, Two (2) sets of construction drawings must be submitted.

Commercial projects, Up to Four (4) or Six (6) sets of construction drawings must be submitted.

Secondary permits for electrical, mechanical and plumbing work can usually be submitted without accompanying construction drawings (equipment cut-sheets may be required).


Building codes regulate almost every residential building project a property owner undertakes and most projects require a building permit. The homeowner or a contractor representing the owner may take out a building permit. When a permit is issued, there will be one or more required inspections.

Final inspections are made for ALL permits.

Please contact a Building Inspector to discuss building permits for residential projects. Call (505)599-1304 for further information.


New Construction or Tenant Improvements,

Please contact a Building Inspector to discuss building permits for commercial projects. Call (505)599-1304 for further information.


  • Cabinetry
  • Carpeting
  • Countertops 
  • Interior and exterior painting of residential structures
  • Interior painting of commercial structures 
  • Minor landscaping
  • Tiling


  • Accessible Ramp - Residential or Commercial
  • Additions and Remodeling - Residential or Commercial
  • Additions or Remodeling to a structure- Residential or Commercial
  • Alterations, Damage repairs to a structure - Residential or Commercial
  • Awning - New and/or replacement
  • Carport - New and/or replacement
  • Deck - New and/or replacement
  • Demolition of the interior of structure - Residential or Commercial
  • Demolition of whole building structures - Residential or Commercial
  • Door - New and/or replacement, excluding door panels only, all prehung.
  • Driveway - New and replacement, may also require a street cut permit.
  • Excavation Work
  • Fences - Residential or Commercial, exceeding 18” inches in height.
  • Flatwork - New sidewalks/replacement and access street cuts.
  • Garage – New and/or replacement, Garage conversions and or additions.
  • Garage Conversions
  • Gazebo - New and/or replacement
  • New construction - Residential or Commercial
  • Porch cover - New and/or replacement
  • Renovation, interior, and exterior - Residential or Commercial
  • Retaining Walls - Residential or Commercial, exceeding 18” inches in height.
  • Roof - Overlay, Re-roof, Solar panel Roof and or Structural Roof Renovations - Residential or Commercial
  • Siding - Exterior
  • Signs - Exterior Commercial business signs
  • Soffit & Fascia - Exterior
  • Soil Retention Walls - Residential or Commercial, exceeding 18” inches in height.
  • Solar panel - New and/or replacement
  • Storage Sheds (ALL)
  • Stucco - Exterior
  • Swimming pool - New and/or replacement (Above Ground, if over 2' feet you will need a building permit.)
  • Window - New and/or replacement


  • Building Sewers - New and replacement
  • Cell Towers - New and replacement, modifications
  • Fire protection systems
  • Low Voltage (hardwire) Electric Permit
  • Mechanical equipment - New and replacement 
  • Mobile home Driveway, apron, pad, etc. - New and replacement
  • Placement permits for Mobile home parking. You will need approvals from Divisions to park within City of Farmington city limits.
  • Plumbing - New and replacement
  • Sprinkler systems - New and replacement
  • Street Cut - Residential or Commercial, Curb, Sidewalk, Streets (Aerial Photography is needed along with signatures from three divisions: Planning Division, Water and Wastewater Division and Building Inspection.) Street Cut Application Effective 09/24/2018
  • Water Conditioner (Water Softener) - New and replacement


You must come into our office, Community Development/Planning and Zoning Division & Building Inspection Division, at 805 Municipal Drive, Annex Building, on the 2nd floor. Our office is across from City Hall building.

We do not have permits online at this time.

**Any person, business or company (including subcontractors) conducting business within the city limits of Farmington must have a City of Farmington Business License. An application is online with Business Registration or you may call City Clerk at (505)599-1170 for further information. Contractors must have a State of New Mexico License.

TO OBTAIN PERMIT INQUIRY - Inspection of Public Records

Compliance: Persons have the right to inspect public records of the City of Farmington in accordance with the Inspection of Public Records Act (Article 14, Chapter 2, N.M.S.A. 1978) and the City Council recognizes its responsibility as a public body to make public records available for inspection.

Public Records Request: A person desiring to inspect public records may submit orally or in writing. A written request must contain the name of requestor, their mailing address, and telephone number of the person making the request. The requestor must describe the records sought in sufficient detail.

During regular business hours to the City Clerk, as the custodian to identify and locate the requested records from the City of Farmington's Departments or Divisions.

Their office is located at City Hall,800 Municipal Drive, Farmington, New Mexico 87401, Phone: (505)599-1106, Fax: (505)599-1113.


We currently do not accept online payments for permits.

You must come into our office, Community Development/Planning and Zoning Division & Building Inspection Division, at 805 Municipal Drive, Annex Building, on the 2nd floor. Our office is across from City Hall building.

Pay your permit with a check, money order, cashier check or credit card. If necessary, we can accept credit cards over the phone (American Express, Master Card and Visa).

We do not accept Discover Cards.


The Community Development/Planning and Zoning Division require that zoning and setbacks from property lines. To view business-related permits, variance and zoning applications, check out the Planning and Zoning Division page.

If you have any questions or need to find the setbacks for your zoning area, please call (505)599-1317 to speak with one of our planners.


To schedule a construction inspection for your project, please call (505)599-1304.

To avoid delays on your project, you must have your permit Number for the inspection requested. Inspection requests are required to be scheduled a day in advance, next business day in most cases. Ensure that you are ready for an inspection to take place.

Additionally, our Electrical Inspectors perform electrical Service Connect inspections throughout the Farmington Electric Utility System’s service area.

New Service Estimates & Construction, Call (505) 599-8310, (505) 599-8312, (505) 599-8317


A license "view only" website has been developed at this site includes the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of licensed contractors and their license classification.

It also includes information on licensing and required qualifications for a license examination.


Contact the Manufactured Housing Division, located within the Construction Industries Division Office, at (505)476-4770 for guidance on additions, alterations, and repairs to manufactured homes/mobile homes.